Development and Research Coordinator
COMPANY NAMECity of Saint John
APPLICATION DEADLINEMay 10, 2023
Under the direction of the Manager of Community Planning, the position is responsible for the regulation of land use within the City which entails the analysis and review of subdivision plans, neighborhood plans, development, and building applications to ensure they are in compliance with City standards and by-laws. The Development and Research Coordinator will fulfill legislative responsibilities under the NB Community Planning Act as delegated by the Commissioner. Responding to internal/external clients with respect to development and zoning related issues is a major responsibility of the position. The incumbent will be assigned research projects in the areas of planning policy and development and will provide support to the Growth and Community Services team.
- As a member of the cross-functional One Stop Development Shop team, uphold the highest level of customer service and respond to inquiries in a timely manner from internal/external clients with respect to all application and pre-application processes.
- Is the primary Community Planning staff position that provides front counter support to the One Stop Development Shop for inquiries and application submissions.
- Is the primary Community Planning staff position responsible for handling customer inquiries related to the majority of non-complex planning files.
- Conducts site investigations.
- Is the primary Community Planning staff position responsible for the preparation of Planning and Zoning Letters.
- Undertakes technical reviews and grants Development Officer approval to development and building permit applications to ensure alignment with the City’s Zoning By-law and applicable provincial legislation.
- Reviews and interprets municipal policies and by-laws and provincial legislation.
- Attends, on an as-required basis, Provincial Planning Appeal Board hearings, Planning Advisory Committee (PAC), Heritage Development Board (HDB), and Common Council meetings.
- Proactively identify trends, gaps, challenges and opportunities within the development community, report to the Community Planning Team, develop and implement necessary strategies to respond.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the One Stop Development Shop.
- Participation and support towards the heritage program including inquiries, the grant program, and research requests.
- Undertake research on archival information including deeds, subdivision plans, zoning, ownership, historical data, etc.
- Undertake research on planning and development topics as identified by the Manager of Community Planning.
- Participates in the completion of projects prioritized in the Corporate Work Plan.
- Plays a key role in providing technical support for the growth and community planning service including tracking and reporting on targets for the service area and supporting the service area data requirements on workflow processes and mapping and other technical requirements.
- Active role in ensuring compliance on planning applications including follow up on approvals to ensure conditions are satisfied.
- Prepares preliminary site plans on an as-required basis.
- Uses computer, HTE (Naviline) related application, ESRI software, audio/visual equipment, 35 mm and/or digital camera, measuring devices, general office equipment, and operates a motor vehicle.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the Manager of Community Planning.
The above key responsibilities do not reflect the full scope of duties and are subject to change.
Education, Training & Experience
- A University Degree in the following: planning, architecture, landscape architecture or civil engineering.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a development approval capacity.
- Experience with research, analysis, and project management.
- Bilingualism In French and English is preferred.
The successful applicant will work a compressed work week of 4 days (Monday to Thursday) under the City’s newly adopted Compressed Work Week Policy Trial.
Please note: It is a condition of employment with the City of Saint John to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid certificate of medical exemption from vaccination. Those who provide a valid certificate of medical exemption are required to comply with the City’s Vaccine and Test Policy. Failure to comply with this condition of employment is cause for termination.
Applications will be accepted through our online system only. Qualified applicants should submit their resume to:
City of Saint John
Attention: Hiring Committee
www.saintjohn.ca (careers/employment opportunities)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live and which we serve. We encourage and support applications from Indigenous, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates who belong to such groups, who are qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.