COMPANY NAMEUPLAND Planning & Design
APPLICATION DEADLINEJanuary 30, 2023
Since its inception in 2014, UPLAND has become recognized as a leader in developing locally-owned and innovative planning and design strategies that are as unique as the many Atlantic Canadian communities with which we are fortunate to work. We firmly believe that effective solutions stem from local experience and leadership. We are collaborators at our core. Our objective for all our projects is to create an open and effective participatory process that is appropriate to the context of each community. Learn more at www.uplandstudio.ca
UPLAND offers full benefits, a comprehensive EAP program, and fun team events. We offer customized work schedules; split time between home and office; and full or part-time positions. UPLAND HQ is located in the core of the Halifax region, a welcoming, dynamic and growing mid-size city with an excellent quality of life.
UPLAND is looking for an enthusiastic and talented individual to join our team as an Engagement Coordinator, with a flexible start date and a salary range of $50,000 to $55,000 depending on experience.
The Engagement Coordinator will lead engagement activities and support collaborative planning projects. This individual will work alongside our Engagement Manager and partners to guide and coordinate staff, clients and stakeholders through all aspects of an engagement process. The role will include the following responsibilities, with the specific projects and focus of work determined according to the skills and interests of the successful applicant:
- Written communication for the purposes of promotion, education and reporting.
- Develop and execute collaborative engagement strategies and process implementation plans.
- Visual or artistic communication for digital, print or other applications.
- Facilitation, hosting, public speaking, interviewing, and listening.
- Gather, track, organize, analyze and report information in a variety of ways.
- Coordinate and lead meetings and events, both virtual and in-person.
- Administer online engagement tools.
- Build and maintain relationships with various stakeholders.
- Develop planning concepts, policies and recommendations.
- Develop proposals.
- Occasional travel, and occasional work on evenings or weekends.
Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- Passion for meaningful involvement of communities in the decisions that affect them.
- Knowledge, experience or commitment to inclusion, equity, accessibility and anti-racism.
- Familiarity with Atlantic Canada and rural communities.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including listening and sense-making, and the ability to initiate and carry meaningful conversation.
- Strong written and visual communication.
- Experience working within a public context.
- High school diploma and life experience.
- Adaptable to the dynamic nature of multiple concurrent projects and shifting time lines or priorities.
- Driver’s License (or ability to obtain).
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge, experience or interest in community planning, land use, and design.
- Professional competency in a second language.
- Experience in facilitation, team leadership, stakeholder engagement, evaluation or strategic planning.
- Experience in coordination, communications, program delivery or event planning.
- Experience in survey design, analysis and reporting.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, social media management, online engagement platforms, or other technical skills or abilities.
We’re not just filling a position, we’re adding to our team. If you’re interested but don’t have all the qualifications, send us your application anyway – along with a compelling cover letter – and let us decide. You just may be the team member we’re looking for.
UPLAND is committed to creating and celebrating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran status, genetics, or marital status. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. To request reasonable accommodation in relation to this job posting, please contact Beth at 902-423-0649 or firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to be considered for this position, please submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Deadline: January 30, 2023