Housing Affordability Planner
COMPANY NAMECity of Saint John
APPLICATION DEADLINEJanuary 22, 2023
The Housing Affordability Planner will play a pivotal role in implementing Saint John’s newly adopted Affordable Housing Action Plan. This position presents a unique opportunity to make a tremendous impact on local housing outcomes in Saint John. The position is a 1-year term, with the potential to be expanded into a permanent position, subject to available funding.
This position reports to the Manager of Community Planning and is a member of the City’s Growth and Community Services Department which supports Saint John achieve its long-term vision of sustainable growth and creating a diverse, vibrant, resilient community.
It is expected that the successful candidate will require a high degree of independence and experience in project management. Prior experience and knowledge of the housing system is crucial. The Housing Facilitator may also be involved in other Community Planning initiatives such as neighborhood and municipal planning as required.
Examples of key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Subject matter expert and prime point of contact within the City of Saint John on affordable housing. Lead the implementation of the City’s Affordable Housing Action Plan
- Influence and advance housing affordability through collaborative community partnerships in land/property, community investment, economic development, and business community
- Lead the creation of, and provide staff support to, a Housing Advisory Committee and investigation of potential governance enhancements within the City of Saint John
- Champions efforts, together with community partners and other levels of government, to deliver a coordinated housing information and referral service to promote available affordable housing programs, and act as a resource for best practices and information sharing among stakeholders and the broader community
- Manages the coordination of local affordable housing efforts within Saint John and between different levels of government and community partners
- Design and implement housing support programs to accelerate supply of housing and secure available funding from other levels of government including the Affordable Housing Incentive Grant program
- Prepares and presents staff reports to various committees and Common Council on housing support programs. Lead research, long range planning, and amendment of existing municipal planning policies and by-laws to ensure a supportive framework for affordable housing (e.g. municipal land disposition policy, Zoning By-law)
- Work with community partners in securing access to surplus and underutilized properties and additional financial resources to support overall project initiatives
- Other related responsibilities as assigned
You will be an effective communicator and collaborator to build strong working relationships with key community stakeholders including local housing providers, social agencies and research institutes, the development community, citizens, Growth Committee and Common Council.
The successful candidate will have a degree in Community Planning or a related discipline. A membership, or in-progress RPP certification, in the Canadian Institute of Planners will be considered an asset.
It is expected that the successful candidate will have acquired considerable experience in project management with a proven ability to deliver projects.
Experience collaborating through local partnerships in areas such as: land/property, community investment, economic and social development is essential for this role. Strong knowledge of land development economics, Federal and Provincial housing programs, and familiarity with local government is essential for this role. Knowledge of the Greater Saint John economy, as well as local and provincial economic and demographic trends is necessary. Prior work or research including qualitative and quantitative analysis and policy development will be considered an asset.
The successful applicant will work a compressed work week of 4 days (Monday to Friday) under the City’s newly adopted Compressed Work Week Policy Trial.
Please note: It is a condition of employment with the City of Saint John to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid certificate of medical exemption from vaccination. Those who provide a valid certificate of medical exemption are required to comply with the City’s Vaccine and Test Policy. Failure to comply with this condition of employment is cause for termination.
Applications will be accepted through our online system only. Qualified applicants should submit their cover letters and resumes to:
City of Saint John
Attn: Hiring Committee
www.saintjohn.ca (careers/employment opportunities)
The City of Saint John is an equal opportunity employer. Only those applicants being considered further will be contacted. Testing may be done as part of consideration for employment.