COMPANY NAMETown of Yarmouth
APPLICATION DEADLINEDecember 23, 2022
Town of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Welcome to Yarmouth! Yarmouth is the regional centre of southwestern Nova Scotia. Yarmouth is the financial, business, education, and lifestyle centre for the 70,000 people who live in the tri-counties of Yarmouth, Digby and Shelburne. The port of Yarmouth is central to Yarmouth’s history and development. With Canada’s most lucrative fishing industry, Yarmouth and the Acadian Shores have a culture and economy historically tied to fishing and related industries.
We’re located at the southwestern tip of Nova Scotia. New Brunswick is located to the north, separated by the Bay of Fundy. Halifax is just over 300 kilometers away, while Maine, USA is located to the northwest. Yarmouth harbour is an international entry-point. Our ferry terminal is a vital link between our town (often called “the gateway to Nova Scotia”) and the United States as Bay Ferries operates “The CAT” ferry between Yarmouth and Bar Harbour, Maine. Our enviable climate is the reason so many visitors become residents. We’re known as the Banana Belt of Atlantic Canada due to our mild winters and cool summers.
We’ve built a reputation for hard-working industry, warm hospitality and a deep sense of our shared history. Our roots in the ocean and the golden age of sail are all around us – from our historic waterfront and Victorian architecture, to our marine industries and world-renowned seafood. Yarmouth has something for everyone, including a thriving cultural scene, emerging digital industry, and strong community ties.
We are seeking to fill the role of Town Planner with an energetic individual who is capable of handling a diverse set of responsibilities. As Planner, you will be expected to negotiate agreements, manage applications, coordinate research projects, and address planning inquiries from a broad audience. The Town Planner works closely with all departments on matters that relate to planning and development, and you will be expected to review and amend bylaws and policies on a regular basis. You will also need to be a capable communicator as you prepare and present detailed reports for our CAO, Planning Advisory Committee, and Town Council. You will need to engage the public on a variety of planning matters. But most importantly, as Planner you will be given the opportunity to play a key role in developing and deploying the Planning Strategy for the historic Town of Yarmouth. Our town is undergoing a transformation. This is an opportunity to work with a unique team of individuals on community-defining projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or related field
- Experience as a Municipal Planner
- Well-developed interpersonal and public relation skills together with superior presentation, problem solving, technical and written communication skills. This includes the ability to facilitate, negotiate and resolve conflict
- Ability to interpret planning and development legislation and regulations within the Municipal Government Act
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite Software
- Experience with mapping and utilizing GIS and graphic software
- A member of the Canadian Institute of Planners
Join Our Team!
- Permanent Full-time (35 hours per week)
- Salary: $61,000 – $80,000 – commensurate with experience.
- Optional compressed work week
- Competitive Health benefits
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan – Nova Scotia Public Service Superannuation Pension Plan
- Satisfactory proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required, in accordance with Town policy
To apply for this exciting position, please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.