COMPANY NAMECity of Fredericton
APPLICATION DEADLINEApril 16, 2021
The City of Fredericton is accepting applications for the position of Planner in the Planning and Development Department. On the banks of the St. John River, Fredericton is the beautiful capital of New Brunswick, one of the fastest growing cities in Atlantic Canada, and is one of Canada’s most dynamic and thriving small cities. The successful candidate will join a talented team of professional planners delivering both current planning and policy development services to the community. The candidate will play a lead role working on policy projects with the planning team. This position also involves processing planning applications. We are looking for a planner with a proven track record in public engagement, strong presentation and written communication skills, and the ability to analyze complex development proposals. These duties require an individual who takes initiative, exercises tact, discretion, and has sound judgment.
- Leads policy planning projects such as secondary municipal plans on behalf of the Department.
- Participates in review/updates to policy documents such as the Zoning By-law, Secondary Municipal Plans, Heritage Conservation Plans, and other policy matters.
- Prepares and presents Planning Reports for the Planning Advisory Committee.
- Gathers and analyzes economic and statistical data.
- Advises the public on zoning matters and other development control/enforcement issues.
- Attends regular community and planning advisory committee meetings; prepares reports, memos, and zoning letters.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree in planning from a recognized professional planning school and a minimum of four years of relevant experience.
Knowledge and Desired Skills:
- Sound knowledge of planning theory, public engagement techniques and policy creation;
- Knowledge and experience working in development control;
- Excellent oral communication, presentation and writing skills;
- Preference will be given to full members of the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) and those eligible to practice as a Registered Professional Planner (RPP) in New Brunswick;
- The ability to communicate in both official languages will be considered an asset.
Interested individuals may apply in writing to email@example.com by 4:30 pm on April 16, 2021
Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
All interviews will take place via Microsoft Teams