Planning and Compliance Officer
COMPANY NAMETown of Three Rivers
APPLICATION DEADLINEMay 7, 2021
This is a senior role that assists in carrying out the daily duties of the Planning Department. The officer is expected to operate with a high degree of independence and be committed to the goals and objectives of the Town of Three Rivers. They will assist in the provision of planning, development control, and building standard enforcement.
- Reports directly to the Manager of Corporate Services
- Mentors and provides support as required, or requested, to other staff in the Planning Department.
- Assists members of the public regarding policies, bylaws, development, land use planning, and development permit inquiries.
- Provides technical assistance to the department and makes recommendations to Planning Board and Town Council.
- Develops and fosters close working relationships with various external government departments and agencies, developers, real estate brokers, solicitors, surveyors, business groups, and community organizations.
- Liaises with developers, contractors, and property owners.
- To assist in preparation, review, and maintenance of the Town Official Plan and associated land-use bylaws.
- Responsible for administering, interpreting, maintaining, and enforcing the Official Plan, Zoning Bylaws, National Building Code, and associated Town policies including field inspections.
- Receive and process development permits and various other planning-related applications ensuring conformance with existing bylaws and policies.
- Assist with the preparation of land use bylaws and associated mapping.
- Administer and enforce land-use planning legislation as required by the Provincial Planning Act and Municipal Planning Bylaws.
- Assist in the preparation of reports and resolutions for Town Council, Planning Board and attend meetings as required.
- Ensure applicants are informed of the process requirements for development applications and other planning-related inquiries and that the process unfolds in a timely manner, all necessary information is collected, advertised and proper notifications are given.
- Present testimony and evidence to Appeal Boards on applications that are referred to these bodies for a decision.
- To perform such other duties, responsibilities, and functions as may be assigned by the Manager of Corporate Services.
- Thorough knowledge of land use planning principles, building construction legislation, and bylaws typically acquired through Planning Technology, Architectural Technology certification, or a related field with a minimum of five (5) years practical related experience.
- Knowledge and application of the National Building Code and municipal bylaws and policies.
- The ability to analyse a variety of technical problems, provide solutions and make recommendations.
- Proficiency with computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, Vue Works, mapping, and other software relevant to planning.
- Able to analyze and interpret working drawings including building, drainage, and civil engineering plans.
- Ability to effectively plan and organize work to meet timelines and achieve results.
- Effective writing skills and precision for preparing comprehensive reports, studies, summaries, and non-compliance actions.
- Strong problem-solving skills, able to react/adapt to changing demands and/or conditions.
- Ability to function effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment with challenging and often competing priorities.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Customer service skills.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Successful completion of a technical course in a field directly related to construction technology that is approved and sanctioned by the Prince Edward Island Society of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists or must be eligible to become a member and maintain membership in the Association as an Engineering Technologist.
- Five years experience working as a Planning and Development Technician or a comparable role.
- A combination of related training and experience that demonstrates compatibility would be considered.
- Experience working in municipal government would be considered an asset.
- Driver’s license in good standing with access to a reliable vehicle.
Applications must be received by 11:59 am, Friday, May 7th, 2021. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or drop off/mail your resume to the Town of Three Rivers, 25 Queens Road, PO Box 546, Montague, PE C0A 1R0 (“Confidential-Attention Manager of Corporate Services”).