Senior Municipal Officer
COMPANY NAMEPEI Department of Fisheries & Communities
APPLICATION DEADLINEMarch 25, 2021
Full-Time Temporary Position
(Commencing Immediately To December 2021, With a Possibility of an Extension)
The PEI Department of Fisheries and Communities aims to encourage the development of an innovative, diverse and inclusive workforce which enables the organization to realize its goals. This position is responsible for carrying out responsibilities with minimal supervision, with a particular emphasis on municipal land use planning, municipal relations, governance, legislation, and training, including research and policy development. The Officer will promote effective local government and healthy and vibrant municipalities through effective support and leadership. Duties will include:
- Reviewing, evaluating, and advising the manager on the granting of ministerial approval of municipal official plans and land use bylaws in accordance with the Planning Act;
- Providing guidance to municipalities with official plans, bylaw documents, and development control procedures;
- Providing extended guidance and support for municipal planning authorities;
- Acting as advisor to elected and appointed municipal officials on all municipal issues and providing guidance for the decision making process, including interpretation of municipal statutes and other legislation;
- Reviewing proposed municipal initiatives, policies, programs and projects to ensure compliance with municipal legislation;
- Facilitating municipal formation, restructuring, and viability assessments in support of provincial policy initiatives;
- Providing training, information manuals, administrative guidelines, handbooks, model bylaws and policy bulletins, and providing training sessions for elected officials and municipal staff;
- Providing policy advice and assisting in the drafting of ministerial briefing notes and Executive Council memoranda on municipal governance planning issues as required;
- Representing the Division on ad hoc inter-departmental committees;
- Other related duties as required.
- Applicants must have a University Degree in Urban or Regional Planning, or a related degree recognized by PEI Institute of Professional Planners (PEIIPP). Applicants must be qualified for registration with PEIIPP as a “registered professional planner” in accordance with s. 12(2)(a)(ii) or s. 50(1) of the Registered Professional Planners Act.
- Extensive progressively responsible planning experience preferably in a provincial or municipal planning department.
- Experience in internal operations of the municipalities and be capable of developing and maintaining close working relationships with both municipal staff and elected municipal officials, with a minimum of two years of experience working with municipalities.
- Experience in municipal planning, governance, public administration and land use planning, and the roles and responsibilities of municipal governments is an essential requirement, including knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and the Planning Act.
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required as well as superior planning analysis techniques and judgment skills
- Must have working knowledge of computerized analysis techniques appropriate to the profession.
- Must have a valid PEI driver’s license.
- Applicants must have a good previous work and attendance record.
- The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory criminal records check prior to beginning employment.
- Additional relevant education and experience will be considered an asset.