Town of Torbay Planning and Development Ambassador (3 month summer position)
COMPANY NAMETown of Torbay
APPLICATION DEADLINEApril 28, 2023
Torbay is located on the Northeast Avalon, approximately 6 minutes from the City of St. John’s. Our Brand, Beautiful Torbay, isn’t just a Brand! It’s our way of sharing with the world our picturesque community with a rich history and bright future! With a diverse population ranging from young families to seniors, and programs and services for all, Torbay is an inclusive community with a rural feel to approximately 7,900 residents.
The Town of Torbay is seeking a creative and passionate individual to join our team in the role of Planning and Development Ambassador to assist theTown with several major planning initiatives, including a full municipal plan review, three concurrent studies that will assist bringing a new municipal water supply on stream, wetland assessment work as well as climate resiliency planning and the preparation of comprehensive development schemes.
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
Under the general direction of the Director of Planning & Development or a designated supervisor, the primary work associated with this role will be to research and prepare reports on a number of planning matters which include:
- Updating the Town’s Climate Change Emission Inventory and Mitigation Plan.
- Participating in planned community workshops on Climate Change Vulnerability Assessments.
- Preparing the Town’s commercial space inventory and the Planning & Development Department’s annual report, associated website and social media postings promoting the works of the Department.
- Assisting with the mapping and functional assessment of Torbay’s wetland systems and conservation areas where the position may be involved in field work.
- Responsible for filing, shadowing a professional Planner, Planning Technician and Development Control Officer, therefore also assisting with site inspections, reviewing proposals, and other related duties as required.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Completion or current enrolment in a post-secondary education program in urban and regional planning or geography; or recent graduate.
- Proficient research, report writing and cartographic skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; GIS is an asset but not a requirement.
- Field work experience, as well as ability to read plan and survey information.
- Ability to deal in a professional and responsible manner with members of the public.
- Positive work ethic and high degree of initiative.
- Ability to successfully perform multiple time sensitive tasks.
- Willingness to learn and contribute as part of a team.
- Knowledge of the Town of Torbay would be an asset but is not essential.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license equivalent to a Class 05 in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador and must be capable of being insured and maintaining continuity under the Town’s normal insurance policy.
- Certificate of Conduct from the RNC or RCMP is required.
- First Aid Certification would also be an asset.
Period of Employment
June 8th, 2023 –August 30th, 2023
This position is a 3-month intern position, reporting to the Director of Planning & Development.
The hours of work are Monday to Friday; 8:30AM –4:00PM with potential evening or weekend work as required. Ample notice will be given for any evening and/or weekend work.
Interested applicants are invited to apply with their qualifications and experience outlined in a formal resume, cover letter and a portfolio of previous work projects or tasks highlighting relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 4:00PM on Friday April 28th, 2023.The Town of Torbay wishes to thank all interested applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.The Town of Torbay is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process, upon request. Please advise the Town if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process, in accordance with the NL Human Rights Act.